James Wiltshire the studio half of Grammy nominated remix and production team the Freemasons and F9 Audio, shows us how to post 30 second embedded high quality promo videos to your twitter timeline using an iPhone and a Mac.
Video embedding used to be done automatically when you Tweeted a Youtube URL, but this function does not work anymore so the work around is to make Twitter think the video was taken with the iPhone’s camera.
Key Steps Summary
- Make a 31 second video - make sure the project frame rate is 29.97 Fps for optimum quality when played back - End the main content of the video (and audio) at about 28 or 29 seconds and have the rest black - This is VERY important later on.
- Render out in the correct form for an iPhone 4 or later - Premiere Pro and FCPX have presets for these 720p perfect - no point going 1080 in case you need to upload on the move and use network data. There are some very important settings you need to adhere to if not using a preset.
- Now open iPhoto on your mac and add a new album called “promo vids” and drop the rendered videos into this album
- Connect you iPhone to your mac and close iPhoto. Click on iPhone icon in the top left underneath the transport controls, then the "Photo" tab in the settings and make sure everything looks like this with your new album selected.
- Hit Sync to transfer the video content to the iPhone
- The videos have to show up in the ‘Photo app on the iPhone to work so make sure you can see them.
- Open Twitter, compose your Tweet - there is absolutely no way of making the video clickable so I keep a copy of bitty links in my notes app to copy and paste.
- Click on the camera icon shown in the picture.
- It will default to just photos, click on the “albums" top left to go up a level.
- Scroll down to the "videos" section and select your video content.
Now the reasons for the timings at the front of this tutorial become apparent - If you upload the same video over and over again twitter will stop the tweets deeming them duplicates. A 31 second video is too long for twitter - Using the timeline at the bottom of the screen elect 30 seconds of video (make sure it’s right up against the front), Twitter will create a new video in the phone with a unique name and tweet this once you’ve done edited
Now sit back with a smug look on your face and consider growing a beard if you don’t already have one!
Specs To Use For Your Video
- Format: H264 (mp4)
- Video dimensions: 1280 X720
- Framerate: 29.97 (drop frame)
- Pixel aspect: Square
- Level 3,1
- Bitrate: VBR - target: 2.2 maximum 2.64
- Audio AAC Stereo 160 Kbps
About F9 Audio
Welcome to F9 Audio, the soundware label from James Wiltshire - The Studio half of Grammy nominated Remix and production Team The Freemasons. F9 Audio is dedicated to bringing the Highest Quality Soundware, production knowledge and musicianship to the desktops of every producer.
Every release from F9 Audio has been created by Professional Producers and Musicians and is designed for one purpose: To make everything sound better! For more information about the label and their existing products visit here.